Friday, February 25, 2011

Which Game Would You Teach A Stranger?

This weekend I might have the opportunity to do just what the title suggests.  If everything goes according to plans I will have two strangers in my home Saturday evening.  Ashli has been trying to get together with a friend from work, for a while, and Saturday is culmination of these attempts.  Ashli's friend Kim has confirmed that her, and her boyfriend enjoy playing boardgames, so they have invited to come over for a game night.

I have never met Kim, and don't even know her boyfriend's name.  In fact they may be engaged or even married I'm not sure, but until I know otherwise, he will just be the boyfriend.  having never met either of them, and not even knowing much about their interests, makes the idea of game night complicated. Based on my limited knowledge of the "average" American, I'm going to guess that they have never heard of most if not all of the games in my closet.  This brings me full circle, back to the question proposed in the title, what game should I unleash on them.  If I'm lucky I can blow their minds, and show them a whole new world that then never knew existed.  Otherwise, their just going to think I'm a weird guy with weird games. 

I'll let you know this weekend how the event went.  In the meantime throw out any ideas you have for teaching games to strangers.  Below is the short list, please let me know in the comments your thoughts on my list, it's OK I can take the criticism.  If you want to know what I have to work with, you can see my game collection HERE.



The Settlers of Cattan:  The Settlers of Cattan is an interesting game with a dynamic game board composed of hexagons representing different terrain types.  Through the roll of dice players gain resources, based on the locations of their cities and settlements.  the resources are used to expand their territories and but victory points.  first player to reach ten points wins.  I am partial to this game because it is that game that got me hooked.  Not only was this the first euro game I played, but also the first one in my collection.


Pros:
  • Hex pieces create a new game each time.
  • Many strategies can lead to victory.
  • Keeps players engaged between turns, with trades, and acquiring resources on any roll.
  • Rules are not very complex.
Cons:
  • Modular board can intimidate people who are not used to euro games.
  • Competitive building can lead to blocked players, and discourage new players.


Ticket to Ride:  Ticket to Ride is another good beginner game.  the rules are pretty easy to learn, and since there are a limited amount of actions possible, new players don't have to do too much during the turn.  This game was an early addition to my collection, and I have yet to have anyone tell me they didn't like it.


Pros:
  • Fewer actions per turn keep the game moving quickly.
  • Setup is quick with a single board.
  • Rules are easy to explain, and by looking at the board, even a beginner can visualize the game play, and begin to develop a strategy.
Cons:
  • Games can be rather long.
  • If a key rout gets blocked it can make your goals near impossible to complete.
 
Carcassonne:  Carcassonne is a tile laying game where the board is built as you play.  The basic rules are quite simple.  First you lay a tile, that tile must match any adjacent tiles, and then you may place a meeple on that tile.  depending on where on your tile you place the meeple, you claim an area of the board (road, city, field).  When that area is completed, the person with the most meeples on the area gets the points.  It is easy fun and fairly fast.  The exception is the farmer, which many people fin difficult to use at first, since he doesn't score until the game is over.

Pros:
  • Since the board is built as you go, an early mistake doesn't have to haunt you all game.
Cons: 
  • Scoring and meeple placement rules can be confusing, and contain a lot of stipulations.
  • Successful strategy almost always involves stealing points from opponents. 


Dominion: Dominion is the only card based game I have added to this list.  Dominion is a game that has almost a limitless replay possibility.  The game comes with 25 sets of cards, of which only 10 are used at one time.  Each game can be played with a random selection of cards, giving you over 3 million combination in the base game alone.  Many expansions have been released, each one adding an additional 10-25 sets of cards, which makes that number sky rocket.

Pros:
  • Base rules are easy as 1,2,3 (Action, Buy, Clean up).
  • Endless playability.
  • Different strategies depending on cards in play.
  • A game tends to be rather short, when playing with experienced players.
Cons:
  • Deck building games have a stereotype of being nerdy.
  • New players have to read all the cards to understand what they do, resulting in a slower pace.
  • "Analysis Paralysis" this is when a player holds up the game because they are spending too much time evaluating their next move.

3 comments:

  1. All things being equal, I'd probably go with Ticket to Ride.

    Carcassonne without the farmers is another good option, but I just don't like Carc very much. I personally think that Dominion is a pretty bad choice unless they have some experience with CCG's or other similar games. Settlers is a good choice, too, but it can sort of drag with new players

    Pandemic is also a pretty good option, because its cooperative nature lets you sort of teach it as you play, since non-gamers tend to be very turned off by "long" (i.e. 5-10 minute) rules explanations. It is a little more complex overall, though, so maybe pay attention to how interested they are in it before breaking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for weighing in on the topic, game night kinda got derailed by movie night. It was a real downer for my wife since she was really looking forward to socializing. Just because the opportunity was missed, don't let that stop anyone who stumbles by from sharing their opinions on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max, sorry you missed your night - I'm sure another opportunity will come along soon! I would vote for Catan (personal favorite), but if I had to pick a new one - Ticket To Ride sounds quite interesting....maybe you'll have to teach me sometime.

    ReplyDelete